As many of you know ellipticals are a great way to get in shape and lose weight. Unfortunately, they can be unnerving for those not used to the gym. It doesn’t take much effort to learn how to use an elliptical machine: it just takes the right shoes and the proper form. This article will explain how one should choose their elliptical shoes and give some tips on using this machine.
What do we mean by “shoes” for elliptical?
Elliptical shoes are specially designed with side support and stability bars (on the soles). They help your feet grip better on the pedals as well as provide better balance without compromising comfort.. Some good brands include; Ryka..
What to look for in an elliptical shoe?
The best elliptical shoes will have the following characteristics: * High support bars to keep your feet firmly on the pedals even when you are working out hard. * Comfortable mesh material that provides ventilation and is breathable enough so that your feet don’t get sweaty after prolonged usage. * Low profile design so they do not interfere with movement. * Sturdy rubber soles ensure greater stability, grip, and balance.
Top 5 best shoes for elliptical
1. ASICS Men’s GEL-Quantum 360 Running Shoe
These are great elliptical shoes that offer support and stability. They have well-padded soles to ensure comfort even after prolonged usage, mesh cloth uppers for breathability, peek-a-boo holes for ventilation, and a rubber sole with semi-circular lugs for grip. They provide the user with security and control over their feet during training without exerting too much pressure on their toes or arches. This makes them very good exercise shoes if you plan on doing some high-intensity workouts. Moreover, they absorb shock well so you will not feel sore after each training session; this is especially nice when switching between surfaces like sand, tiled floor etc.. The only downside is that they are not meant for outdoor use..
2. NIKE Women’s Flex 2021Running Shoe
NIKE Flex 2021 is very comfortable and provides great support for your feet. It absorbs shock well, is lightweight but has also been built with rubber soles to ensure that you are stable on the elliptical machine no matter how fast or hard you use it. The only downside is that they are not meant for outdoor use.
3. ASICS Men’s GEL-Exalt Running Shoe
Another good elliptical shoe from Asics, the Gel-exalt offers support and stability with its high profile outsole design. They have air mesh cloth uppers that allow them to be breathable so your feet won’t get sweaty after prolonged usage. This enhances comfort levels during training sessions by reducing chances of blisters. Its rubber sole offers great stability with its gripping semi-circular lugs. Its high-impact cushioning also absorbs shock well so your feet are not sore after training sessions. The only downside is the heel is a little too high which makes them less optimal for use on elliptical machines.
4. ASICS Men’s GEL-Venture 5 Running Shoe
If you plan to do some heavy-duty training and feel like increasing your intensity, this might be a good option as they offer strong support and stability. They have breathable mesh cloth uppers; their outsole has a high profile design for grip and comfort; they absorb shock very well and come with rubber soles that offer grip and lateral stability with comfy cushioning. The only downside is that they are not meant for outdoor use.
5. New Balance Women’s WX20v4 Training Shoe
These shoes give you great support and stability when using the elliptical machine.. They have perforated uppers to keep your feet breathing; they also come with breathable mesh soles, rubber toes, and heels to ensure better grip on the pedals; their EVA midsoles absorb shock well without exerting too much pressure on your arches or toes after prolonged usage. The only downside is that like most other exercise shoes, they are not ideal for outdoor use.
Tips when using an elliptical machine
One of the most important things for people who use elliptical machines is to consider wearing appropriate shoes. Wearing the wrong kind of exercise shoes can lead to many problems, some of them being blisters, sore arches or even injuries on prolonged usage. There are different kinds of exercise shoes out there that are designed for specific purposes.. Here are some tips to always keep in mind when using an elliptical machine so you can select the best shoes.
1. Shoes should fit well- If your shoes are too tight they can make you tired, while if they are too loose they could fall off and get stuck under the pedals.. This hazard is increased when you wear outdoor shoes as their soles are usually not designed for machines; most of them don’t provide lateral stability or grip to avoid slipping.
2. Choose shoes with arch support- One of the main reasons people get pain in the feet when exercising is due to inappropriate footwear without good arch support.. This doesn’t mean you have to wear running shoes, but at least try and find something appropriate by looking for breathable uppers, laces that go all the way around your ankles and rubber soles.
3. Practice caution- When using an elliptical machine it is very important to practice caution because they provide a lot of resistance which can be dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing.. Never increase intensity levels unless you adequately warmed up.. Always ensure you are using the right type of resistance for your goals and stick with it.
4. Try not to use old shoes- If you don’t want injuries or blisters on your feet, try to avoid wearing the same pair of shoes which you already used for jogging.. They could be too loose or tight after prolonged usage and this can lead to accidents when exercising.
5. Don’t overdo it- Do not use an elliptical machine just because someone else is doing so at that moment, especially if you are new to exercise machines.. It is always better not to do something than risk hurting yourself because of inexperience.
How much should elliptical shoes cost?
Elliptical machine shoes typically cost between $50-$60 or more depending on features like colors, breathability, etc… Shoes designed for other types of workouts (running, walking, etc…) usually work well too..
How to use an elliptical machine with the right shoes?
Step 1 : Place your feet on the pedals at hip width. Hold onto the grips and start moving like you would on a bicycle (without using your hands).
Step 2: As you get used to using an elliptical machine with side support bars, gradually begin to shift weight from the balls of your feet to your heels as you pedal forward. This will improve grip and balance .
Step 3: Keep your knees slightly bent and try not to bend over too far during movement . Also, avoid sticking out your bottom as this can lead to lower back problems.. Lastly, keep breathing deeply and aim for good cadence. Good cadence is necessary in order to achieve maximum results and to avoid muscle fatigue..
Q. Why do I get pain in my feet while using an elliptical machine?
Ans. There are many reasons for this, but most of them are because you don’t have the appropriate shoes for your new workout routine. On prolonged use, some people also complain of getting blisters or sore arches which leads to discomfort and pain.. Other reasons include an incorrect form which can strain muscles too much or cause injury.
Q. How long should my shoes last when I work out at least four times a week?
Ans. It really depends on how often you use it and for how many minutes/hours you are exercising. Make sure to read the care label before cleaning or tossing them in your laundry basket so they last longer. Generally, a pair of shoes should last for at least six months.
Q. Should I buy shoes for my elliptical machine?
Ans. If you plan to use it regularly and on a daily basis, then it is best to invest in a good pair of elliptical machine shoes.. Shoes designed for running or walking are the most appropriate but not necessary as they offer less support than those made with resistance training in mind.. Wearing the wrong footwear can lead to serious foot injuries such as strains, sprains and fractures . You should always look out for things like arch support and shock absorbency so your feet stay safe during exercise time. Both men and women can find suitable options depending on their needs and preferences.
As you can see it doesn’t take much effort to learn how to use an elliptical machine: it just takes the right shoes and the proper form. So, what are you waiting for? Go get those elliptical shoes and start burning those calories! All the best!